Manta Network introduces a novel and groundbreaking governance model solution that balances democracy with efficiency through a five-tier system of checks and balances. Manta Network takes a hypergrowth approach to development, which has transformed Manta Pacific into the fastest-growing Ethereum L2. The modular approach to its architectural design allows it to fully take advantage of new and emerging technologies to continuously deliver value to users now and in the future, as needs continue to evolve. In an effort to preserve this successful development process while also decentralizing, Manta Network’s governance model promises innovation while balancing a fair, democratic methodology for contributing, auditing, and growing together as an ecosystem.
The Manta governance system will role out in two phases. Phase 1 is introduced immediately and will be available at $MANTA TGE to enable democratic decision-making. Phase 2, which is under development, will enable a new structure of checks and balances to focus on innovative and fair democratic decision-making to drive the future growth and success of the network.
The inception of Manta Governance 1.0 marks the beginning of a new era in blockchain governance for both Manta Network as well as web3. Establishing a forum for stakeholders to propose Manta Improvement Proposals (MAIPs), this phase solidified the Manta Foundation’s role in executing governance decisions, setting a precedent for a governance structure that fosters community involvement and ensures operational stability.
With Manta Governance 2.0, the network will transition into a more intricate and balanced system. The introduction of the ‘Five Council’ concept assures a robust governance framework, fostering an environment where interests are aligned with network growth and sustainability.
- Legislative Council : This Council is at the forefront of shaping the network’s future. It is where $MANTA token holders contribute to decisions on the network’s roadmap, vision, tokenomics, and utility. The members of this Council are selected for their deep understanding of blockchain economics and community needs, ensuring that the network’s strategic direction aligns with the broader objectives of growth and innovation.
- Executive Council: Managed by the Manta Foundation, the Executive Council transforms the Legislative Council’s decisions into action. It focuses on network operations, educational initiatives, and research and development. The members of the Executive Council were chosen for their expertise in blockchain technology, educational outreach, and operational management.
- Judicial Council: This Council is responsible for overseeing grants distribution and implementing the governance tools that enable and ensure a fair democratic process, including services such as Snapshot and zkVote. Its members are experts in governance systems and decentralized voting mechanisms, ensuring fairness and transparency in the allocation of network resources.
- Examination Council: Tasked with managing the electoral process for the Manta Foundation members, this council upholds the principles of democratic selection and accountability. Every two years, an election will be conducted among $MANTA holders on the Manta Pacific platform to select foundation members responsible for executing governance decisions. Its members, known for their experience in electoral processes and governance structures, ensure that the election of foundation members is conducted with integrity and transparency.
- Control Council: As the audit branch, it plays a crucial role in overseeing the entire governance process and maintaining network integrity. The Control Council’s members were selected for their backgrounds in audit, compliance, and risk management, providing an essential layer of oversight and quality assurance. The inaugural members of the Control Council comprise authorized representatives from esteemed entities including Cointelegraph, Veridise, Celestia, Polygon, and Polychain.
The implementation of the Council structure is a testament to Manta’s innovative spirit and its commitment to efficient, balanced governance. This system is designed for scalability and future network expansion, signaling readiness for sustainable growth. The diverse Council system allows for enhanced risk management, crucial in maintaining a stable and reliable blockchain environment.
1. How Does Manta’s Governance Work?
Manta Network’s ‘Penta Power’ governance structure, divided into five distinct ‘Councils’, caters to the evolving needs of the network and its community. Each Council plays a vital role in the network’s administration and strategic direction, with $MANTA token holders central to the decision-making process, ensuring that their interests are always at the forefront.
2. What Sorts of Decisions is Manta’s Governance System Responsible for Making?
The Manta governance system, through its Council approach, covers a wide array of decisions. From determining the network’s strategic direction to managing grants and overseeing operational aspects, each decision made is aligned with creating long-term value and ensuring the network’s robust growth.
3. The Components of Manta’s Progressive Decentralization
Manta’s governance model exemplifies progressive decentralization, emphasizing:
- Stakeholder Empowerment: Centralizing decision-making in $MANTA token holders, ensuring their interests are pivotal.
- Institutional Balance: Maintaining a power balance across Councils, safeguarding against market volatility, and ensuring stable governance.
- Transparency and Accountability: Promoting trust through clear oversight and transparent operations.
- Community Involvement: Encouraging active participation, is crucial for the network’s adaptability and responsiveness to market trends.
- Adaptability and Responsiveness: Ensuring the network remains agile, adapting to market and technological changes.
As Manta Network continues to evolve, it stands as a beacon of innovation in blockchain governance. We invite the global community to join us on this journey, to be part of a network that not only leads in technological advancements but also redefines the standards of governance in the blockchain world. Manta’s commitment to innovation, transparency, and sustainable growth is not just a promise but a new horizon in the blockchain space.
Manta Network pioneers a revolutionary governance framework by catalyzing its path towards decentralization, introducing a dynamic system of checks and balances. This innovative approach ensures a just and democratic decision-making process for pivotal network matters.
MAIP-1.1 outlines the key aspects of the treasury and governance transparency system to ensure fair and democratic accountability and efficient utilization of resources within the foundation.
The decentralization of the Manta Network has placed significant responsibilities on the Manta Foundation, necessitating a robust governance structure for effectively managing the treasury. MAIP-1.1 is motivated by the need to establish clear guidelines and mechanisms for overseeing the foundation’s financial assets and operations.
Additional funds, beyond those specified in the lockup schedule, will be earmarked for ecosystem growth incentives, released based on the lockup timetable, and present opportunities for the foundation to strategically collaborate and engage in partnerships with companies or organizations that might require private negotiations. The foundation, with ample funding, aims to represent the DAO in fostering the growth of the Manta ecosystem.
Manta Foundation will regularly publish transparency reports every quarter, providing details about the usage of Manta Foundation funds, ecosystem growth, projects’ progress, key decisions, and the status of community proposals. These reports will offer a comprehensive understanding of the DAO’s economics, governance, and ecosystem growth, allowing community members to gain a full picture of how MantaDAO operates.
MAIP1 defines the Manta Improvement Proposals (MAIPs) Framework for all subsequent MAIPs. This foundational MAIP provides templates, processes, and guidelines for working within the framework and defines the key roles required for the operation of the MAIP process.
The evolution of Manta Network into a fully decentralized and self-sustainable ecosystem necessitates a formalized process of decision-making. In a permissionless ecosystem, the opportunity to propose changes and improvements should be open to all.
The MAIP Framework aims to empower each community member by offering a standardized method of engaging with the wider community and shaping the protocol’s future.
General MAIP: Used for standard proposals.
Technical MAIP: Used for proposals involving changes to the technical implementation of Manta Network.
Concisely outline the content of the proposal, including the goals of the improvement, expected outcomes, and key information.
Clearly articulate why Manta Network should implement this proposal, the purpose of the proposal, and potential impacts on the ecosystem.
Provide background information, introducing the problem, challenge, or opportunity, giving readers a more comprehensive context to understand the significance of the proposal.
Key Terms (Optional)
Define terms that are unique or industry-specific within the proposal to ensure an accurate understanding of the proposal.
Describe in detail the technical or governance specifics of the proposal, including the platforms, technologies involved, and key steps.
List the specific steps needed to implement the proposal, including costs, manpower, and other resources where applicable.
Specify relevant timing details, including the start date, milestones, and completion dates, to keep the community informed about the progress plan.
Provide an estimate of the total cost to implement the proposal, giving the community an understanding of resource requirements and potential investments.
Risks and Risk Management
Identify potential risks associated with the proposal and provide corresponding risk management strategies to ensure smooth implementation.
Encourage community members to provide feedback on the proposal and describe how feedback will be collected and addressed.
If this proposal is an improved version of a previously submitted and unapproved proposal, provide links to the original proposal, reasons for non-approval, and details of the changes made.
Include any additional information such as charts, diagrams, or other visual materials supporting the proposal.
Note: This template aims to provide a comprehensive framework for the community to understand and evaluate proposals. Proposers can customize this template as needed to better fit specific Manta Network Improvement Proposals.
- Conception: A proposal is posted on the Manta Network forum under the designated category. MAIP Editors assist the Author.
- Approval by MAIP Foundation member(s): The Foundation will checks the proposal’s format, originality, and GitHub submission.
- Manta Request for Comments (MRC): Community review and redrafting phase, with specific durations for Feedback and Frozen Periods.
- On-Chain Submission: The Author submits the MAIP for an on-chain vote, either independently or with an Editor’s help.
MantaDAO encourages active community participation in the governance process. Through the MIP (Manta Improvement Proposals) framework, any community member has the right to propose and discuss suggestions, contributing to the development and decision-making of the DAO. The approval process for MIPs will be conducted transparently and fairly, ensuring that every community member’s voice is heard.
Governance Meetings and Discussions
MantaDAO will regularly organize governance meetings to discuss current and future governance issues. These meetings will be conducted openly through community forums, with summaries provided in transparency reports. Governance meetings will serve as a platform for community members to exchange ideas, voice concerns, and participate in decision-making.
MantaDAO’s voting mechanism aims to create a transparent and fair governance process, allowing every MANTA stakeholder to participate in the governance process.
All governance voting will be conducted using transparent voting protocols such as Snapshot and zkVote, which ensure low gas costs and transparent processes. ensuring the protection of each voter’s rights and verifying voting results.
- Moderators Post MAIPs on Snapshot
- MantaDAO Members Vote on Snapshot
- Voting Period
- Implementation or Resubmission
- Stalled Proposals
Community Feedback Mechanism
MantaDAO welcomes community feedback to improve governance transparency and processes continually. Community members can share their perspectives and suggestions through social media, forums, or by directly reaching out to the core team. Community feedback will be carefully considered and addressed in transparency reports.
The implementation of the proposed treasury governance outlined in MAIP-1.1 will involve the following steps:
Execute Smart Contract Lockup: Initiate the smart contract lockup through an on-chain transaction, ensuring strict adherence to the specified parameters. This process involves placing a time-based restriction on a portion of the MANTA tokens in the administrative wallet.
Allocate Funds Based on Operating Budget: Allocate funds according to the outlined operating budget, ensuring a transparent breakdown of expenditures. The allocation will be based on the comprehensive budget covering general and administrative expenses, research and development, technical infrastructure, as well as activities, marketing, and communication initiatives.
Implement Release of Additional Funds: Execute the release of additional funds earmarked for ecosystem growth initiatives in alignment with the lockup timetable. These funds, released based on the predetermined schedule, present opportunities for strategic collaboration and partnerships to foster the growth of the Manta ecosystem.
Generate and Publish Transparency Reports: Regularly generate and publish transparency reports in a timely manner. These reports will offer detailed insights into the financial activities and decision-making processes of the foundation. Information provided will include the usage of Manta Foundation funds, the progress of ecosystem growth initiatives, key decisions, and the status of community proposals.
Manta Foundation aims to establish a transparent, accountable, and efficient treasury governance system, providing the community with a clear understanding of the foundation’s financial operations and promoting responsible financial stewardship.
The Security Council, a key component of Manta Network’s governance architecture, serves as an on-chain entity with a specific focus on proposing referenda, mitigating dangerous or malicious proposals, and overseeing the Technical Committee’s election. This abstract provides a concise overview of the Security Council’s role and its interaction with the broader governance structure.
The establishment of the Security Council is motivated by the need to introduce a robust governance mechanism capable of handling key decision-making processes within Manta Network. This motivation stems from the desire to create a secure and reliable framework that ensures the integrity and stability of the network’s governance.
The council functions as an on-chain entity consisting of multiple members represented by on-chain accounts. With three current members on Manta Atlantic, its primary responsibilities include proposing referenda, preventing uncontroversially dangerous proposals, and participating in the election of the Technical Committee.
Council motions can generally only be submitted by council members. However, any individual can initiate the process by submitting a preimage, subject to review and approval by council members before progressing to the formal council motion.
Prime member whose vote acts as the default for other members that fail to vote before the timeout.
The purpose of having a prime council member is to ensure a quorum, even when several members abstain from a vote. Council members might be tempted to vote a “soft rejection” or a “soft approval” by not voting and letting the others vote. The existence of a prime member forces councilors to be explicit in their votes or have their vote counted for whatever is voted on by the prime.
Council motions typically require a 2/3 (66.7%) super-majority for approval, although certain proposals may necessitate a 3/3 (100%) consensus. The specific threshold depends on the nature of the proposal.
The Technical Committee (TC) comprises teams that have successfully implemented or specified Manta Atlantic runtime or Manta Atlantic Host. The TC safeguards against malicious referenda, implements bug fixes, reverses faulty runtime updates, and adds battle-tested features. It utilizes the Democracy pallet to fast-track proposals, serving as a unique origin without proposal generation capabilities.
The approval of a council motion depends on the set threshold determined by the submitting TC member. Once votes reach the specified threshold, the proposal is passed.
Only TC members have the authority to submit council motions.
To translate the proposed governance framework outlined in MAIP-1.2 into action, a series of meticulously planned steps will be taken. Each step is crucial to ensure alignment with Manta Network’s commitments to transparency, responsible financial management, and community participation.
- Establishment of the Security Council: The initial phase involves the formation of the Security Council, comprising members with diverse backgrounds and expertise. The formation of the council is a meticulous process, ensuring representation from key entities in the blockchain space. Notable individuals such as Victor Ji and Kenny Li bring rich knowledge to the council, laying the foundation for effective governance.
- Clarify Council Responsibilities: Following its formation, the roles and responsibilities of the Security Council will be clearly defined. This includes specifying its tasks of proposing referenda, reviewing potential risk proposals, and actively participating in Technical Committee elections. Clearly outlining these responsibilities is crucial for providing a transparent and responsible governance structure.
- Selection of Prime Members: A key aspect is the selection of prime members within the council. Prime members play a crucial role, as their votes act as default votes when other members fail to vote before the timeout. The selection process ensures prime members are familiar with the nuances of Manta Network governance and possess the integrity required for this pivotal position.
- Development of Council Motion Submission Mechanism: Concurrently, the mechanism for submitting council motions will be established. The implementation of an effective submission process ensures that council members can propose actions aligned with the interests of the network. Additionally, formalizing provisions for the submission of preimages by external contributors promotes inclusivity in the decision-making process.